SIBLING # 46
In John MacArthur’s book Anxious for Nothing Psalm 46 is quoted, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed ... Be still, and know that I am God (vv. 1-2, 10, KJV).
This is such a great Psalm reminding us that God is always there to help, providing refuge, security, and peace! God’s power is complete and his ultimate victory is certain. He will not fail to rescue those who love him.
After reading this Psalm, Martin Luther proclaimed his confidence in God and wrote, “A Might Fortress is Our God.”
We have a sign hanging in our home with “Be still and know that I am God” printed on it. Matthew 7:24-27 also reminds us that the key to being still is to having a firm foundation!
GIRL # 76
We don’t often want to talk about what God hates, but in a recently heard sermon, I was reminded that we will never grasp all the profound reality of God's love until we comprehend His hate. The sermon quotes;
“… admittedly the wrath of God is a hard subject and I am not here to tell you that it's an easy one. I find it myself very difficult to begin in speaking to people about Christ at this point. And yet it is the beginning of the gospel and the proper preparation for the announcement of grace. How can people understand anything about love if they don't understand God's hate? How can they understand anything about His grace if they don't know about His law? How can they understand forgiveness, if they don't understand the penalty of sin? Men cannot understand. They cannot seek grace and salvation unless they are affected with the dread of the wrath of God that is upon them. Unless men sense they are in grave danger, there's no pressure applied to them to change.”
This Psalm has opened my eyes more to the love of God! How often I’d say to my kids, “Don’t say hate. It’s such a strong word. Instead explain what you dislike about…” We never allow our kids to say they hate someone (just as God doesn’t hate the person, but the sin!). HATE (WRATH) is a word that we often want to avoid.
I’ve been spending a lot of time on this Psalm, trying to understand more of how God’s attributes are balanced in His divine perfection.
As stated in Romans, God is a God of wrath and apart from faith; we have no HOPE in life! Interesting how the gospels start this way. It’s like going to the doctor and having the doctor say to you-I have bad news; you have a fatal illness that has killed many people. BUT!!! I have good news. A cure has been found and I have it right here! The good news means nothing without the bad news. You have to diagnose the disease before the cure means anything.
Boy # 49
WOW! Psalm 49 is a great reminder of how trusting in worldly possessions is futile. One way to humbly remind you of this is to attend a funeral. As believers we know that we cannot take possessions with us when we die, nor can the buy forgiveness for our sins. Yet, we still struggle with the temporary comfort, confidence and identity that may come from the things of this world.
Psalm 49:7-8 says this: “None of them can redeem his brother, not give to God a ransom for him; for the redemption of their soul is costly.” The psalmist is saying, no man could do that, the price is too high…only Christ, the sinless, spotless lamb of God incarnate, God in human flesh. He was special, holy, harmless, undefiled, separated from sinners, higher than the heavens sacrifice. He took our place!
The psalm continues reminding us that the only riches we have at the time of death are those we have already invested in our eternal heritage!! I don’t want to come to my last days on earth wishing I had invested less on earth, where I must leave it, and more in heaven where I will retain it forever.






I really enjoy reading Matthew Henry's commentary, so I looked up these few passages and this is what I found... So simple, yet so profound. "He is a Help, a present Help, a Help found, one whom we have found to be so; a Help at hand, one that is always near; we cannot desire a better, nor shall we ever find the like in any creature. Let those be troubled at the troubling of the waters, who build their confidence on a floating foundation; but let not those be alarmed who are led to the Rock, and there find firm footing. Here is joy to the church, even in sorrowful times." -Psalm 46 "Let all submit to God. Our prayers and praises, and especially our hearts, are the presents we should bring to the Lord. His name is glorious, and he is the proper object of our fear...He can dispirit the most daring: since there is no contending with God, it is our wisdom, as it is our duty, to submit to him. Let us seek his favour as our portion, and commit all our concerns to him." -Psalm 76 "Those that are rich in the graces and comforts of the Spirit, have something of which death cannot strip them, nay, which death will improve; but as for worldly possessions, as we brought nothing into the world, so it is certain that we shall carry nothing out; we must leave all to others. The sum of the whole matter is, that it can profit a man nothing to gain the whole world, to become possessed of all its wealth and all its power, if he lose his own soul, and is cast away for want of that holy and heavenly wisdom which distinguishes man from the brutes, in his life and at his death." -Psalm 49 This comment is actually from my daughter "HOPE FOR UGANDA"
ReplyDelete(another post that got erased...)Hi! We are right behind you on the AGCI list! #77 girl and #49 boy! (weird how we are both 49). Nice to "meet" you!
ReplyDeleteBy Rebekah on AUGUST NUMBERS! on 8/18/10