Saturday, October 2, 2010

Our Referral Day!

August 30, 2010 is now one of those days that the Bennett Clan will forever treasure!  This is the day our family first got to see our Ethiopian daughter/sister!  In true "Bennett Style" our referral call came.  I saw the number come in on my cell phone and decided to call our caseworker back, as I was talking with a dear friend as she dropped off another friend's son for soccer practice.  Both of us were helping out family friends with transportation, as they were home packing for their trip to China to pick up their new daughter!  This was also the first night of soccer in which my husband is the coach.  As my husband walked past me in the driveway and into the house to quickly get ready for practice he turned, motioning to me that the agency was now calling his phone.  We quickly realized that they were not just calling to see how we were doing; this could be our referral. He stayed and went through some of the informational paperwork for as long as he could, and then was on his way to the soccer fields.  We told our caseworker that she could send us the photos, for we knew that this WAS our daughter, but we wouldn't open them until we were all together.  The call came at about 5:30 pm and we didn't open the pictures until 10:30 that night.  That was pretty good will power from a mom that used to open and then re wrap Christmas presents.  I actually had to move away from the computer for fear that I'd click the button!  As we gathered the gang from soccer fields, YMCA pools and a friend's home we were ready to skype with our oldest daughter, who is off to school in California.(Be sure to mute the music down on the right sidebar.)
The news was shared!  Now came the moment to see our daughter/sister for the first time!

We'd like to spend the next couple of months sharing on this blog, some "WHILE WE WAIT" memories.  We want our daughter to know how much we eagerly anticipate her arrival and how blessed we are to have her as part of our family!
Psalm 68:6 "God sets the lonely in families."

7 comments:

  1. Ah this is so wonderful! Thank you for letting me be a part of this - and good job getting the video mom :)
    As I showed this to some friends here, I really realized how much I am like you, mom, crying, laughing and clapping just like you!

    Love you all so much. Cannot wait to see what the Lord still has for each of us, especially, our precious Hermela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it....always gives me goosebumps.....hearing of children who are now WANTED!!!! FOR GOOD! These children now have FAMILY :) Nothing better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are rejoicing in your excitement as you await your new daughters arrival. Patti and Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this with us. I love how you waited until the whole family could see your daughter/sister at the same time! Hopefully our family will be gathering around our computer screen SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this brought such joyous tears! I love this. I'm so impressed on how you did this and still trying to figure out how you all were skyping and viewing the pictures at the same time. Did Abbey have two computers? So excited for you and can't wait to see how God plans out this wonderful story in your whole family! Thanks for sharing this special moment!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. An Auntie AGAIN!!! I feel so touched and blessed to know that I have such a faithful sister! for really, but also in Christ! Julie, you are such an inspiration to me! I am praying for travel mercies, and the experience of a life time for you and Dick as you travel to Ethiopia to meet your daughter face to face! I will patiently await my turn...love you all soooo much!
    Be Blessed dear Bennett Family! PS 9:18

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this was so beautiful! What a special moment for your family. We are new to the AGCI family and can't wait for the moment that we first lay eyes on our daughter.

    ReplyDelete