Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Journal of trip #1 to Ethiopia!

Now, as we wait for our embassy date to return to Ethiopia, I’ll  reflect back on our “life changing” first trip, December 2-12, 2010.  There has been so much to process, that I’ve find it hard to put into words. I’m hoping to use this time to continue to appreciate and pray for ways to reach out to the beautiful people of Ethiopia.
December 1, 2010 (1/12/10-Ethiopian style!)
Despite a month of “preparation” our final day before departure proved to be very hectic and long.  Nervous energy seemed to rule the day as we packed and prepared…and prayed.
The best part of the day were all the well wishes and the prayers.  Many shared their heart’s desire to pray for us with a brief visit or over the phone.
The following is an excerpt taken from Dick’s journal for today.
As for James 1:27, well this is what our adventure is truly about.  To pursue an adoption half way across the world is the embodiment of the Lord’s call on our lives, to live out James’ challenge to us.
Praise to you Lord for the burden you placed on Julie’s heart years ago.  The SPARK that you ignited in her has become the BLAZE that now sends us to meet our daughter, Hermela!
Julie said it so well that is was you Lord that changed my heart because if it had been her will, we’d have done it years ago.  Your patient waiting and faithfulness have again shaped my character in ways I can never achieve on my own.  I’m grateful to you Lord for the transformational heart change.
December 2, 2010 (2/12/10)
We left our house at 3:00 am for our 6:00 am departure to Ethiopia!  The kids are in with Aunt Terrie and grandparents for the week.  As I stayed awake with nervousness and excitement for the adventure ahead, the house felt strangely quiet. 
I’m so thankful for my family and all God has entrusted us with.  I also find myself so grateful for His love for us and for allowing us to see the hurts of the world through His eyes.  This love is ultimately what has motivated us throughout this adoption process.  (1Cor 13:3)
Throughout the last few months, I’ve found myself struggling a bit with balancing the involvement of others and when to remain quiet. (Matthew 6:1-3) I’m confident that our motivation for adopting is because of  love.  Love has to be the propelling force if we are to keep our motives pure and unashamed before a holy and righteous God.
Psalm 9:18 and Psalm 9:9-10 are my prayers as we experience Ethiopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment